Re: Children of Herakles

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: Children of Herakles

> Well, first off the amount of funding WBUR receives from the feds is
pretty
> small.  I seem to remember it's something like less than 5% of their
annual
> budget...although that's a really vague number in my memory from a
> fundraiser at some point.  Mr.Faneuf might have more current info.   Point
> is, WBUR never has and probably never will adjust their mindset in
> reporting to account for any influence from federal dollars.

The federal dollars going directly to WBUR, or any public station, does not
give the whole picture.  WBUR carries programming subsidized by the
Corporation for Public Broadcasting.  That programming would be more
expensive if not for the federal funding through the CPB.  As a result, the
direct and in-direct federal dollars is more than 5%.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine