Re: Media myths (Was Townsend)

>Dan wrote--
>  "I called for a congressional investigation and a hearing. I looked around
>the country for other sites like that. I found a little place in upstate New
>York called Love Canal. Had the first hearing on that issue," Gore said.

No, no, no, said Donna, worrying that we were about to veer off-topic into
a political debate.  There is an entire paragraph left out of that
quote.  The "first hearing" he had was about a little town called TOONE,
which was in Tennessee, and was before Love Canal, and he really was the
first to call attention to it.  It's been very well documented, and he was
also the first to call for a wider set of hearings on other sites that were
contaminated.  A search of the Washington Post database will show that the
newspaper issued a correction and explained that they had indeed distorted
Gore's quote about Love Canal.