Re: Media myths (Was Townsend)

Before this deteriorates into the anti- and pro- Gore factions, I am fairly
neutral in the matter, but because I train journalists, objectivity is
important to me.  Please consider that the Boston Globe ran an article
about a New Hampshire teacher whose students found more than 10 separate
cases of various newspapers attributed quotes to Gore that he never
said:  the class had an assignment that was not just about Gore, but
rather, it was a civics class that was studying whether reporters quote
people accurately, and when they traced transcripts and tapes of speeches
and compared them with newspaper accounts, they found many misquotes. I
have the article and the citation.  There is also an excellent article in
the Washington Monthly, a well-respected political magazine that slants
left on some issues and right on others, but which found similar examples
of press distortions regarding candidates.  They did an interesting cover
story about the press misquotes of Gore called "He's No Pinocchio" in their
April 2000 issue... Like it or not, many of the quotes attributed to Gore
are in the category of urban legend.  From speeches I have heard, he said
he was the first senator to have a web page (which I believe he was) and he
said he felt that he was the only senator at that time who was familiar
with what was going on in cyberspace (and like him or not, he was ahead of
most of congress in his interest in the internet-- but he didn't say he
invented it, as far as I have heard or read... he said he FELT like he had
DISCOVERED something that nobody else knew about... and back in the late
80s, that may have been true, given how slow congress was to adapt to new
technologies...)  But for our Republican friends on the list, the same
habit of misquotes and pseudo-quotes can be said about statements
attributed to Bush the daddy and Bush the son, Ronald Reagan, and numerous
others.   Sloppy journalism is not just a Democratic complaint.  I really
recommend checking www.snopes.com to see the urban legends about various
famous people...