Audio Processing

In a recent post about the apparent differences between
the sound of a Bruins hockey game on WBZ and on
WQSO-FM, it was suggested that WBZ's audio processing
could snap lower level sounds right up to "0" and make
them sound louder and fuller.

Today, I heard a commercial by Charles Osgood that had to
be at least 10db lower in volume than the spot before it and
the one after it.  With agressive audio processing, how could
such an obvious difference be?  Please note that I've heard the
spot before and it was just as low in volume.  There was no
background noise (hiss, hum, etc) indicating that it had been
sucked up out of the mud.

Roger