Re: Fwd: WICN Audio

At 03:41 PM 1/12/2003, Larry Weil wrote:
>At 1:08 PM -0500 1/12/03, Laurence Glavin wrote:
>>
>>DATE: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:33:19
>>From: Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com>
>>To: Boston Radio <boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
>>Does anyone else notice distorted and over-compressed audio on WICN (90.5,
>>Worcester)?
>>
>>Was this while you were travelling on the'Pike?  I find it hard to believe
>>you get WICN in the Live Free or Die state...I live close to NH, but still in
>>Mass and I can't get any kind of usable signal from WICN.  Once in a
>>while The Glob references WICN in its radio highlights box, but for
>>people in Greater Boston, all they can probably get is BC's WZBC.
>
>No, this was from home in North Salem, NH.  I can get them anytime I want
>to point the antenna in that direction, no problem.  The signal is strong,
>it's just that their audio is lousy.
>--
>Larry Weil
>Lake Wobegone, NH

FWIW, last week WZBC was running on their backup transmitter due to a power
surge at the dorm where the transmitter is.  The antenna system requires
880w TPO to achieve 1000w ERP....and the backup can only deliver about 450w
TPO.   We've found this realistically only makes a slight difference in
reception - about 3 or 4 miles at the fringe.  Anyways, on Sunday night I
finally managed to get in there and fiddle with it to get the primary
transmitter up and running again.

There was also recently a "report" to WICN from a listener complaining of
interference from WZBC to WICN.  We talked to WICN about it and the
listener was in Bedford, MA...well outside the WICN coverage area.  We
don't know why this guy was ever able to reliably get WICN before but I
imagine after the WZBC transmitter "upgrade" (full-wave spaced to half-wave
spaced) in October a carefully-balanced scale was tipped and he can't get
it anymore.  Sorry, guy, but you be S.O.L. on that one....way too far from
WICN, way too close to WZBC.

Larry - I'm a bit surprised you can get WICN in North Salem; speaks a
testament about your radio and antenna's quality I'd say.  When you
reported the crummy audio, did you CC over to Kyle Warren as well?  He's
the Operations Director...email is on http://www.wicn.org/Who's%20Who/staff.htm

- Aaron

P.S. I knew about the interference complaint when this thread started, but
didn't want to chime in until I knew the whole story, which I didn't until
this morning.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron