WCAP (was: RE: Re:Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation)

Mark Watson:
 And
> will whoever ends up
> with the station keep it local or eternally connect it to
> birdfeed? I hope
> it isn't the latter.

As do I, from a sentimental point of view.  Many years logged there.
Realistically, though, the signal is a "big five" in that it has a
great footprint.  I'd consider it a smart buy for a Boston AMer who
is weak in the Merrimack Valley/Southern New Hampshire area that is
looking to expand it's coverage.  Nighttime would be a LOT of
overlap in and around Boston and it wouldn't give them any S. NH
help at all at night.  WCAP also is generous on the ride down 495 as
it takes the ride quite well toward the Pike.  Basically, it could
fill in a lot of the gaps that a Boston AMer is lacking.  As much as
I'd hate to see it go.  Other option would be a local buyer group
would take it for a spin for a couple of years, get the "this is
fun!" out of their system, and then roll it over to someone else.
I'll echo that the WCAP owner simply is not interested in selling.
I've known Maurice for over 20 years and can attest that he's a very
private man, keeps his cards close, and treats the station more like
personal property than that of a "business."  A prospective buyer
would need to be respectful of that.

Bill O'Neill