Re: Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation

Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

>Maybe you are in a time warp.
>"Serving" the community has basically been written out of the FCC rules,
>haven't they?
>I remember when we had to actually interview community leaders to compile a
>list of needs for said community  (GONE!)
>I remember when we had to draw up some kind of plan to address said needs
>(GONE!)
>Remeber the words "operates as a public trustee"?  (GONE!)
>
>But "serving the needs" of the community seems to be gone.

But this begs the question of what "serving the needs of the community"
really means.  Does it mean airing a scintillating interview with the COL's
sewer commissioner at 6am on a Sunday?  Do you think ANYONE ever listened
to those shows back when stations were required to devote a portion of
their air time to them?  If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one
there, are they still serving the community?