Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation

---------- Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu> writes:
>Given the legal climate, the rule will almost certainly fall if the
>FCC ever fails to grant a waiver, so Chairman Powell is right to
>suggest that it should be repealed entirely.  I would further suggest
>that it is actually in the public interest to allow newspapers and
>broadcasters to combine operations.
>-GAWollman

Dave writes:
I think your logic given the current climate is sound, however I would disagree that combining local newspapers and local broadcast outlets would be in the public interest.  I see it as allowing a single company to control, not only news coverage and content but advertising rates.  wasn't there an example of this discussed several months? ago on this very list in which a GOP lawmaker was up in arms because a firm that controlled coverage in his congressional district was causing problems for him or one of his children running for office?
df