Re: Amber Alert & WBZ

On Thu,  2 Jan 2003 11:55:51 -0500 "Roger Kirk" <rogerkirk@ttlc.net>
writes:
> For the past few days, WBZ has been touting their partnership in the
> Amber Alert System.  No significant details, but each announcement
> was followed by a promo for the Enchanted Village in City Hall Plaza
> - brought to you by Mayor Thomas M. Menino and....., etc.

I noticed that as well and wondered if it was a sponsored PSA?.  Also,
Thanks to Mr. Kennedy who provided me with the specs for Amber Alert.
I'm a little surprised to see that the Boston outlets would allow WBZ a
jump start on the Amber Alert considering that if and when it is
activated it will be for a missing child that will turn into a lead
story.  As I read the specs, and granted Mark Manuellian is chair of the
committee, the State Police Trooper that will decide these things will
notify ONLY WBZ to start the ball rolling. I don't know how else it could
be handled but I do think it gives WBZ an unfair advantage over other
news organizations in town...
df