Re: Radio Listening--Human Contact

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 02:17:10 -0500 Nostatic <nostatic@attbi.com> writes:
> Young people today not only have more music and entertainment options
>
>snip<
, it's no wonder they don't have the
> fondness for radio as we do, or the need for live DJ's. It's just
> not as
> intimate or immediate.  Rather, it's detached and generic, something
>
> this latest generation doesn't relate to.  In the world of cable
> channels, music, and websites specifically targeted to young people,
>
> generic just doesn't cut it.

I wonder if part of this generic just doesn't cut it problem is that
today when you turn on the radio you get the same old syndicated jocks,
shock jocks, talking heads etc.  It's generic because unlike when we were
kids, they can't pick up the phone and call the jock and actually have
any real expectation of talking to him/her.  A listener to Stern has
about as much chance of getting Howard on the phone to talk as they do
getting Letterman to pick up the phone.
df