Re: goodbye to 2002

  Donna Halper wrote:
>Well, the NAB commissioned a survey, and big surprise, 78% of all
>respondents said they felt radio is doing a good job.  Meanwhile, I did a
>survey of my Emerson students and found that 60% don't listen to radio at
>all.  You tell me what it all means.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not one of those hand-wringers
about how bad today's radio is.

Keep in mind that to today's teens & 20somethings radio is somewhat old
technology.  This is a generation that has, for all practical purposes
never known a time when there was no MTV....all their lives they've had a
video associated with their favorite songs.  This is also a generation for
whom the internet has, for all practical purposes always been
there...webcasting, on-line gaming, etc.  A lot of us on this list are over
40 and see these things as new and novel, not as fixtures in our
lives.  When we were growing up radio WAS our window to the world.  To
today's generation it's just another source of background noise...there are
so many other sources of information and entertainment available.  If it's
any consolation, radio is getting off easy compared to print media.

Bringing back radio the way it was in the "good old days" is not going to
make it more relevant to today's youth...if anything it will make it less
so.  1978 is gone forever.