Re: RE: WMWM taking a week off...

>>It also makes me wonder why the station wasn't a bit more forceful with the licenseholder-Trustees of the school to walk away from its obligations to the license to broadcast at least 12 hours per day.
It isn't about the electricity.  It's about ignorance by the administration.<<

Non-comm FM's licensed to schools are allowed by FCC rules to go silent during weekends and school vacation periods without incurring either shared-time obligations or any other penalty.  I agree with Peter that it's much better to have the station on the air continuously if possible, but if it's not possible, it is certainly legal to shut down during vacations.

The Framingham State station, which I take care of, is on the air 24/7/365, thanks to its carriage of the MetroWest Radio Reading Service on its SCA.  When there's no local programming, the reading service is on the main program channel as well.

Someone else asked how automation teaches students about radio.  Given the current state of the industry, and how many commercial stations operate, learning how to program an automation system is actually the perfect training for a radio novice to have (along with other skills, of course).

Sid Schweiger
MIS Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI