Re: Patriots 10 year contract extension with WBCN

OK, I know this is a Boston-based list, and many of the posters here are
older than myself but I have to say this.  What is the facination with
Gil Santos and Gino Cappaletti?  Personally, I think they stink!  Look,
Gil is probably a really nice guy, and I have nothing against him
personally.  He sounds good doing scripted sports reports on WBZ, and
does have a great set of pipes, but he can't call a game to save his
life!  Most of the time, he flubs the names of the players, or loses
track of the ball during the course of a play.  Gino winds up having to
bail him out several times during a game!  Even Pat Summerall way past
his prime sounds better doing football P-B-P than Gil Santos.

Both of them are unabashed "homers" as well.  Now, it was one thing when
Johnny Most did it because he knew what was going on during the game,
and weaved in his partial opinions in a humorous manner that made the
broadcast entertaining, but did not compromise the accuracy of the play
by play.  Gil and Gino sound like two old geezers that miss three
quarters of the action, then they wait for the video replay to show them
what they missed.  Personally, I find it kind of sad.  Not being a
Patriots fan, and growing up with New York "local" sports announcers, I
find the local guys here very "small market" sounding in comparison. Its
too bad WEEI can't run the national Westwood One feed during Patriots
games.  I would have rather tuned into Marv Albert and Boomer Esiason
than having to be subjected to the radio equivilent of the two old guys
in the balcony on the old "Muppet Show."

Mike Thomas