Re: Pop Instrumentals

I'm not sure if it became a (re-released) hit, but the
Austin Powers movies have used Quincy Jones'
instrumental "Soul Bossa Nova" as a theme (i.e.,
that's the song you hear at the start of the first
AP movie, as Austin is being chased through swingin'
London, baby). Maybe it was re-released as part of
the soundtrack, and became a hit?

Also: last week's Thu. night countdown on WODS had the
Ramsey Lewis Trio doing an instrumental version of
"Hang On Sloopy" (late '66), though I wonder if it was
legitimately an instrumental: I thought instrumentals
had no lyrics at all, but the Lewis rendition had
singers doing "Hang on Sloopy, Sloopy hang on"
several times.