Re: Cellphones while driving - article in Boston Herald

At 03:15 PM 12/3/2002, Roger Kirk wrote:
>Dan Billings wrote:
>
> >... We could prevent traffic fatalities by lowering or more strictly
> >enforcing speed limits but we have decided that the costs of doing so
> >are too high.
>
>Not necessarily.  Simply make the fines:
>10 mph > speed limit = $500
>15 mph > speed limit = $1,500
>20 mph > speed limit = $5,500
>30 mph > speed limit = $10,500
>etc.
>
>Won't take long for the word to get around, I'm sure.
>
>Remember, severity of punishment is the real deterrent.  Getting caught
>means nothing if the punishment is a tap on the wrist.  Follows the "shoot
>the first one, and the rest will fall in line" philosophy of management.
>Roger

You never watched "Star Wars" did you (deterrence ability of the Death Star
didn't work too well :-)

We're starting to wander way off broadcasting topics again, aren't we?   I
can see this will probably lead to an argument on the deterrence factor of
the death penalty and while I (and no doubt many on this list) find that a
fascinating discussion, it's not really appropriate to a BROADCAST list.

Next time I'll remember and not post any cellphone-related stories  :-)

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron