Re: Cellphones while driving - article in Boston Herald

Dan Billings wrote:

>... We could prevent traffic fatalities by lowering or more strictly
>enforcing speed limits but we have decided that the costs of doing so
>are too high.

Not necessarily.  Simply make the fines:
10 mph > speed limit = $500
15 mph > speed limit = $1,500
20 mph > speed limit = $5,500
30 mph > speed limit = $10,500
etc.

Won't take long for the word to get around, I'm sure.

Remember, severity of punishment is the real deterrent.  Getting caught means nothing if the punishment is a tap on the wrist.  Follows the "shoot the first one, and the rest will fall in line" philosophy of management.

Roger