RE: Dead FM Broadcasting Technologies

> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:07:05 -0500
> From: "Hakim Madjid" <HMadjid@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Dead FM Broadcasting Technologies
>
> Anyone remember the following:
>
> Dolby FM (ca mid 1970s)?
> FMX (late 1980s)?

I remember that WODS used FMX for a while. I believe I recall hearing
that the manufacturer was affiliated with CBS, so many of their stations
used it. (103.3 may have begun when they were WMRQ).

I never had an FMX decoding receiver, but I recall that on a conventional
FM stereo receiver WODS had severe distortion if you were in an area in
which there was the slightest amount of multipath signal reflection. Much
worse than common multipath distortion. Some people attributed this to the
FMX at the time.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .