Re: WQSO Goes Jockless All Christmas Music

I seriously doubt there will be a format change there.  Many of these
"all Christmas" stations are Clear Channel owned, as is WQSO. I think
it's a short term ratings/revenue blip for the CC/Portsmouth cluster.

A three share in the Portsmouth/Dover/Rochester market is probably about
as good as it's going to get for 96.7. Being a class A station in
Rochester on the northern fringe of the market, it's never going to have
ratings like its sister stations WERZ and WHEB.  Sure, the oldies market
is crowded, with WQLL to the west, WODS to the south and WMEX to the
north, but WQSO has the best coverage of the P-D-R market and is the
"local" oldies station, for better or for worse.  Like most CC stations
that are currently all Christmas, WQSO should return to it's previous
format after the holidays.

I doubt that WMEX is much of a factor.  WQSO has enough problems
covering the entire market with a solid signal, but WMEX is
worse--they're a Lakes region station that occasionally makes a diary or
two in the northern fringe of the Portsmouth market. I don't think that
Clear Channel sees Dennis Jackson's station, as unique as it is, as much
of a threat.