Re: Comcast merger FAQs

At 12:47 PM 11/19/2002, Dave Faneuf wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:31:15 -0500 Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> writes:
> > But, the bastards at ATTBI would not provide any
> > e-mail forwarding, the moment I was on Earthlink any mail sent to
> > the attbi.com address bounced.
> >
> > I notice the Q&A page that you referenced mostly says no answers
> > till  Feb 03.  Wonderful!
> > Larry Weil
> > Lake Wobegone, NH
>
>Ain't monopolies wonderful :-))
>df

The light finally dawned in my roommates' eyes when they were bitching
about how we're losing the Fox Sports News Channel (they're big soccer
fans, FSNC carries a LOT of soccer...we have AT&T Digital cable) because
apparently FSNC is a competitor to one of Comcast's own "outdoors" (i.e.
fishing) channels.  Go figure.

Anyways, the light dawned when I asked them how this happened.  It's quite
simple - we have an FCC that, never mind green-lighting...they're all but
demanding mega-mergers in media companies.  That FCC is controlled by a
Republican-appointed head (Powell) and that appointment was because we have
a merger-friendly Republication administration in power.

As all three of them are Democrats (as was I during the 2000 election, now
I'm a Green)...I didn't waste the opportunity to gloat over them thinking
that it was no big deal if they didn't vote...which none of them
did.  Boneheads.

See...national elections really do affect you at the local level.  Sure
there's several layers inbetween, and you can't claim a DIRECT
connection...but there's definitely A connection there.

Although admittedly I don't know for sure that Al Gore *wouldn't* have made
Powell the chairman anyway....tough call.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron