Re: Boston Celtics Basketball On WCCM

Mark Watson writes:
>   Checking the website for WCCM (1490 Haverhill) it has been updated
> to show that they are now part of the Boston Celtics radio network.
> They posted a Celtics broadcast schedule on the site showing game
> times and TV outlet (Fox Sports New England, TNT, etc.) but don't go
> by that schedule for games WCCM will carry. They didn't have last
> night's game, as they were broadcasting the Tewksbury at Lowell High
> School football game. They also carry Merrimack College hockey games
> and high school basketball games in season as well, so I would guess
> they may not carry all Celtics games. I do believe WSMN (1590 Nashua)
> is also carrying Celtics games this season, according to the Boston
> Celtics' website.
>
>    Back to WCCM: I caught part of last night's Tewksbury/Lowell H.S.
> football game, with John Collins (formerly of WSMN & WOTW Nashua)
> calling the game on what sounded like a bad cell phone in an echo
> chamber. Collins indicated that it was his first game on WCCM and
> that he's looking forward to bringing listeners more great local
> sports all winter. Hopefully with better phone lines!!

WCCM is still trying to pawn itself off as a Lowell-area station? How many
people within 1490's coverage area actually cared about last night's game?
Why shouldn't they do a game people care about, such as Haverhill High or
Salem High or one of those schools? (At least when WCCM airs the
Lowell-Haverhill game on Thanksgiving this year in their standing as a
station "serving" Lowell, they'll be airing a game local people care about.)

I remember about 10 years ago I saw the then-WHAV play-by-play announcer
(don't remember his name) broadcasting a Haverhill High girls' basketball
game from Wakefield High...and, yes, they were using a Martii (or some other
remote device). I don't know why a cell would be required if they were
broadcasting from Tewksbury or Lowell, which I would think would be a
shorter hop back to the station than Wakefield.

As far as the Celtics...I seem to recall seeing on The Tiger 1590's web site
that they indeed are airing Celtics games this year...and the guy who was
doing the studio shows on The Zone last year now apparently has a nightly
sports show on 1590.