Re: Re:Re:RE: RE: Political ads with phone numbers

> ---------- Joseph Pappalardo <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com> writes:

> >The 3rd part candidates (for Mass Gov)couldn't have
> >asked for more attention from the media this time
> >around.  Virtually everyone knows who they are....and
> >virtually everyone has rejected their candidacies.
> >snip - for the purpose of saving space<
>

> Actually I think you're off base, but only slightly.  The third party
candidates got some coverage this time, but
>  much of it was about their fight to be heard, not the issues.

I think they were in the debate...I heard them on talk programs....they were
in the paper.  (And let's not forget that it's the parties job to get theri
message out....3rd party candidates don't have that resourse.)  However, all
one had to do was hear each of them say 1 nutty thing...and that was it.
The problem was none of them had a message that resonated. ("Small
Government is beautiful" is nice...everyone heard it...but it's not
resonating with the public.)

>> I think the third party candidates are very concerned about "The Spoiler"
label and I have heard a number of
>>  people interviewed today who support one of the third party candidates
but will be voting for a
>>  mainstreamer for fear of putting someone worse into office.  I would not
call that a rejection of their
>> candiacies but instead it's an effect of the polls and media telling us
that they have worse than a snowballs
>> chance of being elected and rejected out of hand.

It's not necessarily the media telling us...but it's the fact of being a 3rd
party candidate...you don't have much of a chance..because you have no party
support behind you.  That's just the way it is.  We could wish for it to be
different....but it's not.

>  I will agree that Stein will have an impact on O'Brien as a matter of
fact former President Clinton was
>   campaigning with O'Brien today and warned against voting for Stein
saying the Democrats don't want to be
>   "Nader-ized" again.  Howell could have taken some of the hard line GOP
vote away from Romney if she
>   had used her brief time in the li!
>  melight doing something other than pushing Ballot Question #1.

The libertarians tend to take a bite of the right-wing Republican
pie...however, Carla Howell does things like come and speak on the Boston
Common for the potfest (legalize hemp) they held there.  Speaking to all the
potheads.

Now, nothing wrong with taking a position...but the people at the
potfest...don't like right-wingers....and the right-wingers don't like the
potheads on the common.  So, again, here's a politcal message that is not
going to resonate.  It's a campain that is canibalizing itself.

Now, to round out this discussion about broadcasting...do you think the 3
minor party candidates should've been at ALL the debates???  Do you think
broadcast outlets should invite all the candidates to every debate?

JP