RE: Political ads with phone numbers

On 3 Nov 2002 at 11:34, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> She (NH's O'Brien) is banking on the "MA resident moving to NH" voters to
> check off her name for "Governor's Council" (We do NOT call it that here
> in NH) thinking their voting for MA Governor.

It's an old political trick, the most successful example of which was John F. Kennedy, who
was elected state treasurer of Massachusetts three times in the 1950s without even
campaigning.  The trick failed when he tried to run for governor in 1960.  People knew in 1960
that Senator John F. Kennedy was running for President, not governor.