Re: Langer Sells WSRO

At 02:03 PM 11/1/2002, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Aaron [Bishop] Read wrote:
>
> > As a side note, has anyone noticed those damn "Radio Cadillac" Part 15'ers
> > floating around on billboards?   I heard one in Fenway next to the theater
>
>For those of us not in Boston, what are they? :)
>Is it some ad for Cadillac?

Radio Cadillac is an ad campaign in major markets across the US...they're
Part 15 "billboard radios" meant to go 1/8 to 1/4 mile and they're usually
in the expanded band.  The "programming" is usually a goofy ad/song for the
Cadillac Escalade (sometimes it's another model), led into and followed by
some inane "DJ-esque" banter between two guys who're supposed to be live
real DJ's.   Usually the whole thing lasts about two or three minutes and
then loops ad-nauseum.   They all direct the listener to go to (http://)
radio.cadillac.com - which has virtually no info about the radio part but
is all about the 2003 models of Cadillacs.

I don't know how they're distributing the programming, but it does seem to
change fairly frequently...every few weeks or so.  And it's better than
phone audio so I have to assume it's a cassette deck or minidisc, or
perhaps a satellite downlink (although satellite seems too much cash for
such a limited ROI).

All I do know is in a market where there's so many little folks trying to
carve real stations out of Part 15 in the Expanded Band (Allston-Brighton
Free Radio isn't the only one, ya know....just the best ;-)  it annoys me
when Cadillac is hogging precious spectrum for such a lame ass advertising
campaign whose ROI   I can't believe is that good.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron