Re: Langer Sells WSRO

At 09:56 PM 10/31/2002, Sean Smyth wrote:
>market can their be for leased ethnic programming? Yes, I understand there's
>many ethnic groups in Boston, but some of them are already receiving a fair
>amount of hours programmed on stations such as WMBR and WMFO. With all the

Besides the obvious issue of WMFO's puny signal...what exactly makes you
think air a lot of ethnic programming?  Last time I checked there was about
six hours a week of foreign-language programming at most...I'll toss in
"Celtic Dawn" there for another three hours if you insist since while it's
mostly in English, it is specifically about Celtic music and culture.

Most of the college stations around here have a few hours a week of
foreign-language or specifically ethnic programming...but little more.

One thing I've noticed though is that the Haitian community has a fairly
organized pirate network (last count I heard was three or four stations
spread out across Greater Boston) in the expanded band of AM.  I've often
wondered why they haven't tried to organize and buy some lease-time...maybe
there's a culture of pirate radio in Haiti?

As a side note, has anyone noticed those damn "Radio Cadillac" Part 15'ers
floating around on billboards?   I heard one in Fenway next to the theater
and one while driving over the Tobin.  Talk about the most inanely stupid
"programming" (I hestitate to call it even that)...even though it's only
receiveable for a block or two, I change the channel.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron