Re: WBUR underwriting crossing lines even more

Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:
>In fact, when NPR first revealed their intention to carry programming on
>Sirius many NPR affiliate stations screamed bloody murder and stopped
>airing some (in a few cases, stopped airing ALL) NPR programming and went
>all-local in retaliation.
>I don't know how long that retaliation lasted, or if it was even terribly
>wide-spread.  It's just what I heard from both a Sirius rep and an NPR rep
>attending the IBS conference in 2001.   I wonder if it was really big
>enough to put a dent in NPR's member-station fees?

My suspicion is that it was a lot more smoke than fire.  What are these
stations planning on filling the time with?  Automated classical music?  I
would suspect that programs like ME & ATC are substantial draws for these
stations.  To a large degree public radio has more to risk from XM & Sirius
than commercial radio...it seems to me that their listeners are more likely
to pony up for the receiver & subscription fee than the average joe...talk
about shooting themselves in the foot.