WBUR underwriting crossing lines even more

Remember my post about WBUR carrying underwriting from WGBH TV Channel 2?

Well JUST NOW during the 5:29pm break on Monday, I heard Gina Cervetti (yes
Dave, I'm sure it was Gina this time :-) reading an underwriting spot for
Sirius Satellite Radio.  This REALLY strikes me as WBUR shooting itself in
the foot since Sirius, not XM, is the satellite service that has the rights
to carry NPR and PRI programming (at least last I checked).   A successful
Sirius will mean more competition in WBUR's drive to become a national
player in the NPR world.  In fact, when NPR first revealed their intention
to carry programming on Sirius many NPR affiliate stations screamed bloody
murder and stopped airing some (in a few cases, stopped airing ALL) NPR
programming and went all-local in retaliation.

I don't know how long that retaliation lasted, or if it was even terribly
wide-spread.  It's just what I heard from both a Sirius rep and an NPR rep
attending the IBS conference in 2001.   I wonder if it was really big
enough to put a dent in NPR's member-station fees?

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135