Re: RUSS Automated tone

>Russ Butler wrote:
>>What is the inaudible tone that is used to cue
>>events in an automated radio station's
>>programming computer?  And how is that signal
>>generated onto a CD program so that the radio
>>station can download the digital audio >>successfully with the cues to activate
>>commercials, promos, ID's, jingles, etc.?
>>Do all radio station's automated systems accept
>>the same tone cue, and where could I obtain the
>>equipment (or this service) in the Boston area?

"Aaron [Bishop] Read" replied
>IIRC it's a 25kHz tone for one full second, but
>others on the list will  probably know for sure...

Cue tones can vary.  Radio Programming Management (RPM) uses "UltraSoniQ" - a 20KHz tone of varying length.  Leading edge is cue to start next source, trailing edge signals complete end of audio.  At least that's what I've been told.  IIRC they provide a circuit board for modifying a CD player to detect the tone and output appropriate logic signals.

Roger Kirk