Re: Fw: Thoughts On The WROR Boston Rock Radio Reunion

Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:

>Roy Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Ahh...yes then came it's brother the "Cue Master"
>> affectionately known as the rumble master!
>> Complete with a micro-trac bamboo looking tone
>> arm. Penny not included!

>That lousy a recordplayer eh?
>
>I have a Cuemaster with a wooden microtrak
>arm at home...in a bin.  Maybe someday I'll
>grease it up, put it together and take it for a
>spin.  Who knows....

Be charitable, guys!  I believe the turntable
technology in question was originally designed
for monaural opertion, where vertical rumble
was not an issue for mono cartridges.  Re the
feedback, frequently, the turntables would be
mounted in cabinet work that was designed to "look
good", but unfortunately, the empty internal cavity resonated all too well at a low number of Hz that made feedback all too common.  Another factor that led to unpleasant sounds was increased studio monitor volume (required by many DJ's) enabled by the higher-powered amplifiers and full-range monitor speakers that attended radio's transition into the late 60's / early 70's.