Re: Tropo still going on?

At 09:52 AM 9/23/2002, Sean Smyth wrote:
>Aaron [Bishop] Read said:
> > Is that tropo ducting still going on?   I was trying to listen to WBRU,
> >  Providence (95.5) whilst down in Mystic, CT Saturday early-evening.
> > That's  at the fringe but usually I can pick it up in the area I was
> > trying to  listen.  But I was getting massive co-channel interference
> > from another  95.5...enough that I caught the frequency clearly spoken
> > and also part of  the call letters: "WBLJ"...there's no station by
> > those calls on
> > 95.5.  Instead I think it was WPLJ, which is on 95.5, but is out of
> > NYC...even their fringe shouldn't reach much beyond New Haven.  Never
> > mind  another 100-odd miles up the coast to Mystic.
>
>I've always picked up the NYC AMs and FMs well in New Haven. It's a little
>more of a straight shot across the water diagonally than just following the
>coastline. I've had the FMs go to fringe about 10 miles east of New Haven
>or so.

Yeah, but I was hearing this clearly in MYSTIC...which is  WAY further east
than New Haven.  About 55 miles further, to be somewhat precise.  FWIW I've
never heard WPLJ while in Mystic previously...usually it's just
WBRU.  Fringe WBRU dissolving into static, but nothing besides that.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron