Re: Sept. 11, one year later

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:27:12 -0400 "Aaron [Bishop] Read"
<aread@speakeasy.net> writes:
> There was much ballyhoo about a lot of stations either going
> commercial-free or really toning it down on Sept 11th 2002.
> However, I
> listened to WBUR for most of the day (I usually do...I'm just a
> liberal
> news junkie :-) and noticed that while the level of underwriting was
> noticeably down, it was still quite present.

I know that I personally wasn't offended by spots on 9/11 although I
certainly would have raised an eyebrow if the spot were for an
airline....
One thing I object to is the self righteousness of some newspaper
readers.  In my local paper there was a piece that criticized Shannon
O'Brien for publishing a list of names of people that the state owed
money to on 9/11 calling it a blatant political ad and pointing out that
candidates agreed not to run ads on 9/11, but as I recall my local paper
was not ad free on 9/11....talk about Hypocrisy!  Radio and TV shouldn't
do it because it's offensive but it's okay for newspapers!
df