Re: WCAP web site??

At 01:30 AM 9/13/2002, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>On 12 Sep 2002 at 12:43, Shawn Mamros wrote:
>
> > Well, stations certainly have applied for trademarks for their calls, and
> > the trademark office has granted them.  I'm very familiar with at least
> > one example of a station doing so. :-)
>
>There was a case a few years ago where WBCN sued WBCS for either
>trademark infringement or unfair competition -- I forget which.  The
>court held that the two stations were sufficiently different that it was
>unlikely the public would confuse them.
>
>--
>A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                           617.367.0468

Rumor has it there was (internally) hell to pay at WBUR after the WRNI call
letters had be picked and all the promotional stuff and letterhead and the
whole process was in motion....and then someone noticed that there's
already a WNRI in Rhode Island.   Whoops.

Personally I always thought that rumor was a load of hooey...I can't
believe nobody noticed WNRI before choosing WRNI.  But it made for an
amusing story.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron