Re: Phillips Academy Andover Open; WPAA-FM Is B-a-a-a-ck

At 05:15 PM 9/11/2002, Sean Smyth wrote:
>Aaron [Bishop] Read said:
> > I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is ZERO excuse for any
> >  station to ever shut down anymore.  A near-bulletproof automation
> > system  can be assembled for under $2000, in many cases under $500
> > depending on  what you can get for donated equipment.
>
>I'd tend to agree with you. The least WPAA could do instead of running an
>open carrier is relaying the TIC service or even NPR programming,
>something...

Oh no, unauthorized stations airing NPR content is a major no-no...you
gotta pony up millions for that right in a Top-10 market like Boston.

But they could put up the BBC World Service...the BBC has historically been
very willing to allow US sources to rebroadcast their content.  I can
personally vouch for this with BBC Five Live but Five Live ended up having
too much England-specific info (like British traffic reports) to be worth
continuing airing it here in Boston.  I believe the World Service is
similarly minded about distribution, though.

There are several programs available on the DISH network
(www.freespeechtv.org) and Pacifica for free, though.  It's a little harder
to organize them all, though.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting