Re: Country music in French, and more...

--- "Stephen Pickford (new account)"
<nmi@saturnus.com> wrote:
> 2 years ago, while returning from Hampton Beach,
> also heard the same format on
> Sunday mornings on what was then WMVU...the music,
> though, tended to be a 1940s
> and 1950s Quebecois country and bluegrass sound that
> hasn't been heard here in
> Montreal for 40+ years...

Yes, it was kind of like that.

> Montreal does have a French country music
> station...CJMS 1030...
> <http://www.cjms.ca>
> which bills itself as the Only French-language
> Country Music Station in the World...

Good to know! I wasn't aware of that (I think they
have an English language country station on FM,
or am I thinking of Toronto...)

There are types of music like cajun and zydeco
which kind of sound like country, and often have
French lyrics, but this was more basic "country"
than that.

Incidentally, I have heard rap in French, but not
on the radio. On one trip to Montreal, I stopped
into HMV records on Ste.-Catherine and a rap
group was performing on the first floor,
singing en francais...