Re: Excuse me, Miss Pronunciation?

On 4 Sep 2002 at 12:14, Chuckigo@att.net wrote:

> i've had a discussion of game coverage, vis a vis home
> team announcing, with a die-hard Yankee fan in our
> Portland Radio group.  he is forever screaming at the
> cue speaker while Sean & Jerry do their thing,
> especially when the opposition is a team from New York
> City.  he feels that the Boston Red Sox broadcast team
> should remain neutral.  i told him that i react the same
> way when listening to a NY station's version of the same
> game.  it's all in the interpretation of what we hear.
> and then i can stop him cold with a few choice words:
> Johnny Most.

Seems to me the convention is that sports announcers are not neutral, but
favor the team whose games they are covering.  I've occasionally been
bothered by that when there has been no local station carrying UMass
football games (the only sports I follow), and I've had to make due by
listening to their opponents' game coverage.  But that's the way sports
are covered.  Unlike political coverage, there's not even the pretense of
impartiality.