Re: Excuse me, Miss Pronunciation?

regarding Aaron's experience with the Yankees version of
a broadcast game, Counselor Ross wrote:
>>Could it be that the  New York announcer simply wasn't
amiliar with how to pronounce the names?<<

i've had a discussion of game coverage, vis a vis home
team announcing, with a die-hard Yankee fan in our
Portland Radio group.  he is forever screaming at the
cue speaker while Sean & Jerry do their thing,
especially when the opposition is a team from New York
City.  he feels that the Boston Red Sox broadcast team
should remain neutral.  i told him that i react the same
way when listening to a NY station's version of the same
game.  it's all in the interpretation of what we hear.
and then i can stop him cold with a few choice words:
Johnny Most.
  the mispronunciation of professional athletes names is
common.  it just sounds worse when the name of a fairly
well-known commodity like Nomar is butchered.  and as
Dan B pointed out in a subsequent post, a little
homework is all it takes.
  those who are familiar with Dale Arnold may not know
that Dale is extremely painstaking when going over the
oppositions' rosters.  in the early 80's, when he was
the PBP voice of the Maine Mariners and i was doing the
PA for the arena, we had a tutor come down from Bowdoin
to grill us on the proper pronunciation of a touring
Russian hockey team's players' names.
  i'd say Aaron's ears reflect his true colors!  (red
and not blue-pin-stripes!) ;-)

- -Chuck Igo