RE: Sunday Globe Magazine article on Jerry Williams

Dan Strassberg Writes:

>I can't swear to it, but I think you've got that wrong.
>Post NARBA (3/31/41), CFRB was on 860 and remained there
>until a few years later, when the CBC acquired CJBC,
>which was on 1010. The CBC forced a frequency swap with
>CFRB. (This was prior to the establishment of the CRTC;
>the CBC was kind of like Saturday Night Live's floor wax
>_and_ dessert topping; the CBC was a network _and_ a
>regulatory agency. It's not as if they were impartial.)
>1010 is a Canadian clear channel. Today, the dominant
>Canadian Class A station on 1010 is CBR in Calgary. But
>CFRB is also supposed to be a Class A, even though
>interference from WINS makes CFRB's nightime secondary
>service essentially a joke.

During the time of the WLW 500kW operation (1934-39), CFRB was broadcasting
on 690kHz. It would make sense that WLW would have to take some sort of
measures to protect the adjacent channel.

In 1939, in accordance with the provisions of the 'Havana Treaty' [NARBA],
CFRB was moved to 860kHz, so that the CBC could put CBF on the air in
Montreal on 690.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)