RE: Sunday Globe Magazine article on Jerry Williams

So? Presumably, it reduced radiation toward CBF to
something in the neighborhood of what WLW radiated with
50 kW ND. If the parasitic tower had such an effect, the
signal in the opposite direction pretty much had to be
roughly equivalent to twice the actual antenna-input
power. Since the second tower was presumably
considerably shorter than the Blaw-Knox tower, maybe the
height was chosen to produce a minimum in the vertical-
radiation pattern over the range of critical angles for
the path from Cincinnati to Montreal.

On the other hand, I wonder whether enough was known at
the time about the vertical-radiation characteristics of
medium-wave antennas to design such a setup. Probably 10
years later, KFAB compelled KRLA to use such techniques
(towers of different heights) to minimize its skywave
toward Omaha. The attempt did not wor

Still, designers _do_ sometimes use the height of AM
towers to achieve design objectives. I theorize that
three of the four towers in WBBR's night array are
significantly shorter than half wave (101 degrees) to
boost the nighttime signal here in Boston. Because of
the use of short towers, WBBR (then WNEW) had to get a
waiver of the requirement for rms field intensity for
Class I stations.

Since all of WBBR's towers are self-supporting, it seems
unlikely that some reason, such as inadequate room for
guy anchors for tall towers, was involved in the use of
the 101-degree towers. And the reason wasn't economics
either; the State of New Jersey took the old site in S
Kearney and paid--handsomely--for the move. Taller
towers would have increased the signal strength in the
New York market but would have reduced it here. Back
when WNEW moved to the Secaucus site (late 60s?), I
think that skywave service was still a design objective
for clear-channel AMs.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205