RE: Sunday Globe Magazine article on Jerry Williams

I can't swear to it, but I think you've got that wrong.
Post NARBA (3/31/41), CFRB was on 860 and remained there
until a few years later, when the CBC acquired CJBC,
which was on 1010. The CBC forced a frequency swap with
CFRB. (This was prior to the establishment of the CRTC;
the CBC was kind of like Saturday Night Live's floor wax
_and_ dessert topping; the CBC was a network _and_ a
regulatory agency. It's not as if they were impartial.)
1010 is a Canadian clear channel. Today, the dominant
Canadian Class A station on 1010 is CBR in Calgary. But
CFRB is also supposed to be a Class A, even though
interference from WINS makes CFRB's nightime secondary
service essentially a joke.

Anyhow, WLW's 500-kW days preceded NARBA and I don't
know where CFRB was on the dial when WLW ran 500 kW. As
far as I know, however, WLW never had to reduce its
night power because of any Canadian station. What WLW
had to do, though, was to directionalize to protect
first-adjacent CBF in Montreal. Imagine, 500 kW
directional! Presumably, WLW sent the equivalent of 1
million watts to the south or southwest from an array
that consisted of the Blaw-Knox diamond tower and a
presumably shorter tower of a different design.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205