RE: WMBR is cancelling it's nightly news - protest

>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:30:36 -0400
>From: "Aaron [Bishop] Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
>Subject: Re: WMBR is cancelling it's nightly news - protest
>
>I forgot to add that the rumors I've heard from friends who work at WMBR is
>that the guy who got the evening newscasts implemented stepped on a lot of
>toes and offended a lot of staff in the process...

I have been at WMBR for over twenty years (except 1996 to 1998) and have not,
to my knowledge, seen anything of that sort when, or since, the WMBR Nightly News (from Pacifica) began on WMBR in early 1991. The staff at large was
practically always fully supportive of it. The stance of the management varied
widely, from enthusiasm and appreciation to apathy and disdain, from one
yearly regime to another.

>I would not be surprised if this is a means of those people being petty and
>cutting off their noses to spite their faces.   I hope this is not the
>case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

One of my gripes with how WMBR has been programmed over the years is that it's
sometimes been based too much on their own internal logistics (and squabbles)
than on their claim to serve the listening audience and community (I was a PD
there myself way back in the mid-80's).

>I'll also add that this is an exceedingly odd time to pull the plug on
>Pacifica considering that only in the past few months has the crisis in
>Pacifica management been (more or less) resolved and if anything things
>should be getting better there now.

Though I'm not currently part of the management, I think it may possibly be
more the matter of whether or not the current management wants any news
(produced by non-MIT members) at all.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .