RE: Lost 45's #2 (was Re: ** A Brand New Boston Radio Show!)

On 5 Jun 2002 at 2:57, elipolo@earthlink.net wrote:

> Even before WMRQ became WODS, "The Oldies Channel" had brought WMEX's
> ratings down from averaging above a 2 to unrateable, below 0.1. I don't
> know what the oldies fans were listening to, perhaps AC, classic rock, or
> news/talk, but practically no one was listening to "The Oldies Channel" on
> WMEX.

I probably was.  It was the only game in town.  When WODS started, I switched to them.  I
tended to go back and forth between WMEX and WODS in those days.  Every so often,
whichever station I was listening to seemed to get worse, or maybe I was just tired of the ten
or so songs they were playing over and over, and I would switch to the other for awhile.

> I know
> that, in general, locally produced live music radio on AM is practically
> dead these days, but it seemed to me that in 1150 WMEX's case, TPTB at GM
> were doing everything they could to help prematurely steer it toward that
> fate for it's last few years. Exactly why, I don't know.

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

And, of course, the last episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show parodied this sort of stupidity
-- when the new station owner decided to fire the entire news staff =except= Ted Baxter!