Re: Lost 45's #2 (was Re: ** A Brand New Boston Radio Show!)

  Brian Vita wrote:
>The theory is that you buy up another signal to prevent a worthwhile
>competitor from getting it.  I made the same argument several years ago with
>GM taking a growing format (NAC) and tanking it to protect Magic's numbers.
>They said that I was nuts

A little different situation than with the ever newer 1150 WMEX.  1150 has
such a dreadful signal that someone would have to really want to listen for
them to do so.  When 103.3 was Top 40 or AAA there was no one else doing
oldies in the market (that I know of), and those who absolutely had to have
their fix of Elvis or Chuck Berry had no where else to go.  Its days were
numbered once 103.3 became WODS.

My guess that it was more of a case of GM just not caring about 1150, and
being unwilling to spend any more $ than was absolutely necessary on it.  I
doubt that the PD who "ran WMEX into the ground" did it intentionally...it
was more likely that when Gary James left they hired someone without much
experience and was just not up to what was a pretty hopeless task...who's
gonna listen to an AM with a lousy signal when an FM is doing essentially
the same thing?