Re: WTIC daytime reception in Boston (Was Re: WJIB at night)

Well, 617 is still the area code in Newton, Brookline,
and Watertown. When WILD is on full day power, which it
would be at 11:00 AM, the signal in those communities
must be quite good, but not super. I listen to WXKS (AM)
much more than I listen to WILD. WXKS uses the same
power as WILD does during non-CH hours. Both stations
are ND days, and their TX sites are quite close to each
other. WXKS's day signal in Watertown Square, though
decent, leaves something to be desired. My guess is that
it's about 5 mV/m give or take, and it drops off
noticeably as you head south, say toward Newton Center.
At that point, my guess is maybe 3.5 mV/m. WXKS is
further up the dial than WILD, so its signal probably
doesn't go quite as far, but the WILD site is north of
the WXKS site, so WILD's signal has a little further to
go. A caller in, say, Auburndale, who happened to have
her radio turned properly might have WILD nulled and be
able to pick up WTIC. Of course, from Auburndale,
Medford and Hartford are roughly 180 degrees apart, so I
guess someplace further south in Newton (Oak Hill, for
example) or in W Roxbury would be a better QTH for
nulling WILD and picking up WTIC. W Roxbury ought to be
pretty good. It's far enough from the coast that
reception of WILD should not benefit from the salt-water
path, and the directions to Medford and Hartford must be
separated by about 135 degrees. If you had taken down
the lady's number you could have called her... ;>)
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205