Re: WJIB at night

What you're talking about here is groundwave reception,
which doesn't normally change much as a function of
atmospheric conditions--although long rainy spells or
long dry spells affect soil conductivity, which affects
groundwave reception.

But WUNR being totally lost on the north shore at night
IS a skywave phenomenon. The signal that you couldn't
get from WUNR is presumably groundwave, but the
interfering signals from WWRL and other stations, which
drown out WUNR at night, are skywave, and skywave
reception is extrmely sensitive to atmospheric
conditions. The better the skywave reception on any
given night, the more likely a station like WUNR, which
doesn't put all that strong a signal into the north
shore, will be drowned out where you were listening.

WUNR uses towers that are greater than half-wave. Such
towers do put an upward lobe into the vertical-radiation
pattern that can cause the station's own skywave to
interfere with its groundwave. In WUNR's case, though,
that effect shouldn't be noticeable on most nights
because the interfering co-channel skywaves decimate the
groundwave much closer to the transmitter than the
points at which the station's own skywave interferes.

WUNR's interference-free night contour is about 5 mV/m.
This is the contour at which the root-sum-squared of the
two or three strongest 10% skywaves is 1/20 of WUNR's
groundwave. In other words, the RSS of the strongest 10%
skywaves is supposed to be about 0.25 mV/m, which sounds
to me like an extremely optimisitc value for 1600 in
these parts.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205