Re: WLLZ Monroe-Detroit

Well, the stuff that's on the tower for WWJ (AM) may no
longer be necessary. WWJ now runs 50 kW-U from a 6-tower
array south of Detroit. The old WWJ site has become a TV
site (I think for DTV). That necessiated removing at
least one of WWJ (AM)'s towers and the loss of the tower
was what sent WWJ to a new site. WWJ was licensed to
operate nights from the new site before it was licensed
to operate days from the new site (curious, because the
day setup uses only five of the six towers). In the
interim, WWJ operated 5-kW ND days from the old site and
50 -kW DA-N from the new site. The old site may still be
an auxiliary site for WWJ--at least for daytime
operation, although with all those towers at the new
main site, it's not exactly clear who WWJ would need a
separate auxiliary site.

I think there may be an error in the FCC AM database,
but WWJ's 50 kW night operation shows an inverse-
distance field at the pattern maximum (just about due
north) of nearly 8 V/m. That's the equivalent of almost
640 kW ND into a single minimum-height tower. The array
uses unequal height towers with the two highest power
towers being something like 160 degrees and the others
being shorter. Either the antenna efficiency or the
peak/RMS ratio appear too high for the facilities.

When you compare the new vs the old coverage maps, it's
quite surprising to see how little additional coverage
area was produced by the increase from 5 kW to 50 kW.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205