Re: 20/20 story on "Pay-for-Play" radio

  Daniel Murphy wrote:
>Here is a link to the text summary of tonight's 20/20 story about the role
>independent promoters play in radio.

Interesting article, but like most "expose's" on 20/20, 60 Minutes and
other shows of their ilk, filled with a lot of half-truths and
innuendo.  It's also a bit dated...labels are cutting way back on such
payments due to their own tight financial situations.  Frankly my skeptic
alarm always goes off big time when some unknown artist starts bleating
about how he can't get any airplay-even in his hometown.  Maybe his music
sucks--"good reviews from local critics and on the internet" means
nothing.  Only a miniscule percentage of recorded music ever gets played on
the air, and has been this way all along.  Bands have been selling their
own self-released records, tapes & CDs at appearances for years...long
before corporate radio.  Like it or not, stations don't have playlists with
100 currents anymore...the business has become more competitive and they've
learned that most of these songs are stiffs anyway.  I'm not sure why they
used Fiona Apple or Jamiroquai' as examples of payola getting
airplay...Fiona Apple's song was a mid-charter at best, not as familiar
with Jamiroquai.