From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org] On Behalf Of
dan.strassberg@att.net
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 4:23 PM
To: jibguy@aol.com
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: WYNY

On Sunday's LTAR, Bob remarked about the demise of the
country format on Y-107 in New York City. He implied
that the station--also known as WYNY--was a big FM.
Well, although the WYNY calls were once on 97.1 in New
York (the big country station that at one time was WNBC-
FM), Y-107 was not that station. In fact, Y-107 was a
simulcast of four rimshot stations, and I'm not sure
whether any of them officially had the WYNY calls. One
is in Briacliffe Manor in Westchester county; one is on
Long Island somewhere; one is in northern New Jersey;
and I believe that the fourth station is in the
Bethlehem PA area. All are on 107.1, so the idea was
that together they would have a big signal, but neither
individualy nor collectively did they really penetrate
the five boroughs. I think the idea was that there are
very few devotees of country music in the five boroughs;
the country folks live in the suburbs and much of that
region gets OK reception of one of the four signals that
joined in the simulcast. Maybe the country music fans in
the New York area are losing good programming, but one
can argue that a mickey-mouse arrangement of four
rimshot signals simulcasting was doomed from the git-go.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205