Re: Mentioning Another Station's Call Letters

> my stations have a
> policy to not allow
> another station's call letters or programs be
> mentioned except by previous
> agreement...it might tempt the listener to turn to
> the other station, and
> thus away from WBZ (oh no! :-)

Entercom's WEEI will sometimes point listeners to
a "sister station", but they'll refer to the frequency
but not the call letters. For example, "you can hear
the Sox game tonight on Sportsradio WEEI; the
Revolution are also playing tonight-- you can catch
that game on AM 680". And sometimes one station will
run an ad for its sister station, and you'll hear
the call letters _then_ (example: WEEI running an
ad for WAAF).

Co-owned Ch. 4 and Ch. 38 will run ads for each other
but I don't think the call letters are mentioned
(example: Ch. 4 running a promo for their 10 pm
newscast that airs on Ch. 38-- but it says "UPN 38",
not "WSBK-TV").

"Let's Talk About Radio" doesn't mind mentioning calls
of other stations, of course! And when I'm on WMWM,
I sometimes mention other call letters; for example,
when I mentioned the passing of Mai Cramer, I said
she was on WGBH-FM; and when I do the occasional
fill-in for WNSH's local show, I'll say "this
Saturday, I'll be on AM 1570, WNSH"... but in each
case I'll make sure to let the listeners know that
they're listening to WMWM, not WNSH.

Then again, some "other call letters" will be
mentioned
as part of a legal ID involving a simulcast
broadcast--
like the many, many stations that are part of the
WAMC network out of New York State (it takes a while
to mention all those call letters, frequencies,
and locations!)