Re: Comrex Remote System

Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:
>What Cooper is referring to is a POTS codec (Plain Old Telephone
>Service)...for Comrex the models are BlueBox, Vector and Hotline.  There's
>also another company called TieLine America that makes similar models.   I
>have been told the TieLines are a little better at maintaining connections
>across poor connections and sound a little better than the
>Comrexes.   Personally I think I prefer the Comrexes due to their
>simplicity and their tougher-looking construction...plus they're located
>in Acton, MA and their service is fabulous.

For the past 6 months we've been using a pair of Hotlines for sporting
events and remotes at WKXL.  As others have said, they're easy to use for
the non-technical...I have the number for the station unit programmed into
the quick-dial so all they have to do is connect cables & push 2
buttons.  Audio quality is very good, but they are a little fussy about
line quality.  The Hotlines work best with a direct phone line, we've had
mixed results trying to get them to connect thru a PBX, and Comrex doesn't
recommend it.

The only thing that is a bit disconcerting, is that there is a slight delay
(roughly the equivalent to record-to-play head delay at 7 1/2 ips) in each
direction.  Since our board is ancient and has no direct way to get a mix
minus, it's distracting for the remote announcer to listen to a
backfeed.  Henry mix-minus boxes don't null completely, and enough audio
gets fed back to make it annoying, especially when we're trying to do a
talk show and taking calls.