Re: WUPI/WUPY?

I think you are correct. But WUPY/WUPI was licensed to Lynn. I think the
official studios were in Lynn, even if nearly all of the programming
originated elsewhere. The transmitter was not in Lynn. I thought either
Peabody or Saugus. Peter George says Peabody and identified the actual spot.
He says that the tower still stands but he did not say whether the tower now
has a lot of cellular and communications antennas on it. If it does and if
Sheldon owned it in the first place and maintained control of it, he may be
enjoying the last laugh. Even though he lost his broadcast licenses, he may
have built himself an annuity, which could be providing him with enough
money to maintain a comfortable lifestyle to this day.

My impression was that, back in the early 60s, Sheldon was a young
guy--younger than I was. I was in my late 20s. I figured that he probably
wasn't old enough to have earned the money he used to start his radio
stations; most likely the money was inherited. So maybe he went through his
inherited fortune but nevertheless wound up on his feet. Curious that you
mention that most of the programming originated from the General Glover
House. I remember that Sheldon was a vegetarian; he talked often on the air
about the joys of vegetarianism. The General Glover House--one of Anthony
Athanas' restaurants--definitely served meat and fish.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367