Re: WUPI/WUPY?

On 27 Mar 2002 at 19:19, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> The owner was a _real_ whack job. Harvey <something>. Can't
> remember his last name.

Harvey Sheldon, I think.  I didn't know he was the owner.  I remember him as being on the air
a lot on the station.

He also had a station in Miami--WUPI. If memory
> serves, the Miami station was a full Class B on 95.7. As I remember what
> happened, WUPY went on the air first and went belly-up first. The owner
> then transferred the WUPY calls to the Miami station. He later lost the
> Miami license for some rule infraction--maybe misrepresentation on the
> application or an unauthorized transfer of control.

I think it must be the other way around.  WUPY Peabody went off the air for awhile, then
came back with the call WUPI.

 > The programming on WUPY was as unprofessional as anything I've ever heard
> on the air; it made most of the 10W Class D FMs of the day sound like WGN
> or WABC.

I remember listening when the station first came on, and it sounded OK most of the time, but
the evening show was done live by Harvey Sheldon from the General Gloverhouse restaurant,
and he sounded very unprofessional.   He kept rambling on and on at high speed.  Later,
when I listened to the station after it returned as WUPI, he was doing music from the studio
and sounding much more professional.